Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Calm Before the Storm

As I sit in my hotel room the night before I leave on my trip to Peru, I can't help but wonder if I've gotten myself in over my head. My stomach is in knots, there's a lump in my throat, and I can't stop looking up at my dad and brother, knowing I won't be able to see them for the next four months. Also, I have to wake up at 4:00 A.M., which honestly may be the worst part of all. At this time tomorrow, I will no longer be in the United States. I've yet to wrap my mind around that fact. I guess it's easier to watch Nebrasketball (go Huskers) and pretend it's just another night with my family. I read a quote at one time, though, that has been a constant reminder in my head every time I ask myself why I'm doing this. WHY would I leave my family, friends, university, home, and basically everything familiar to go to Peru? And for a whole semester?! AND DO I EVEN KNOW SPANISH?! As Neale Donald Walsch said, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." Leaving all of those things listed above? It's scary. Terrifying, even. But one day, I'll only regret the chances I didn't take. Someday this trip will be nothing but a memory, but the things that I learn along the way will stick with me for the rest of my life. Hopefully one of those will be learning how to keep track of my phone and debit/credit cards all by myself, but that's a whole different issue. Over the next few months, there will be overwhelming highs where I feel so confident in my decision to study abroad, and there will be crushing lows when I wonder why I ever thought this was a good idea. In the end, though, I will become a better version of myself because of it. I can't wait to see where this adventure takes me but in the meantime, I'll enjoy the calm before the storm (and by storm I mostly mean my trip, but also the mood my brother will be in tomorrow at 4:30 in the morning. Sorry, bud). ¡AdiĆ³s Nebraska y hasta pronto Lima!

No comments:

Post a Comment