Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Week 1: Missed the Alabama/Clemson Game, Gained More Culture

It's official: I have survived my first week in Lima, Peru, and it's been even more amazing than I could have imagined. After arriving at the airport in Lima my first night, I met my host family and they drove me home. Their house is beautiful and I have my own suite with a full bathroom and beautiful view of the mountains. I consider them mountains because I'm from Nebraska. Others may refer to them as "hills." Regardless, I have enjoyed sleeping with my windows open every night and the 70-80 degree weather.
As far as my daily activities go, my first day was spent organizing my room and catching up on sleep. Friday I ventured out into Lima for school orientation and our group went to a local shopping mall to eat supper and have celebratory drinks because we survived our first day and totally deserved it. My main takeaway from this experience is that as festive as the drink "Machu Picchu" sounds because HELLO we're in Peru, it's awful unless you enjoy drinking mints. Lesson learned, stick with the national drink of Pisco. I am a fan of Pisco. Saturday we went to Miraflores where our sponsors from UNK live to explore a different part of the city. This is when I truly fell in love with Lima. A majority of the day was spent walking around the area (and tracking a respectable 13.4 miles of walking) before a majority of the girls and I went out on the town for the evening. Sunday was spent at a shopping center where Shelby and I went to set up our phones. Thank the heavens for a brownie salesman who asked us where we were from (IN ENGLISH) and then proceeded to help us get our Peruvian cell phones set up. Also, if a really strange number texts you sometime within the next few months, it's me. Hi. Anyway, Shelby and I then met Emi, Danielle, and Claire at Claire's house to see for ourselves this whole "rooftop pool" she talks about. It was amazing and we had an incredible view of the city with the ocean in the distance. Quite the deal.
The next day we started school and after that my life isn't as glamorous so I'll spare everyone the details but campus is beautiful and I have actually enjoyed being back in the classroom. My only complaint so far is I had to miss the Alabama/Clemson national championship game, but life has continued. I am so blessed for this opportunity and want to thank everyone for checking on me from time to time and if you're still out there, for reading my blog. God Bless all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment