Sunday, March 13, 2016

Week 8: Significantly Insignificant


Fact: After seeing one of the wonders of the world, you tend to be a little speechless. I'm blaming my inability to write about it on that, anyway. I've never had writer's block before, but after a weekend in one of the most breathtaking places on the planet, it has taken a toll. Typically the title of my blog is the last thing I write. Half the time I have no clue where my writing is going to take me and when I'm finished, I base my title on where it does. In this case, though, it hit me immediately at Machu Picchu what I wanted to title my blog for this week and what I wanted to say; the trouble has been finding the words to say it. After four days, though, the awe is finally wearing off and so, alas, my blog for the week begins.

Last week was basically spent counting down the days until we flew to Cusco, but one new experience I had in the meantime was my first movie in theaters in Peru. Our professor gave us coupons so we went to "How to be Single" (as if I need any lessons on the subject) for only about $1.50 in theaters, which goes without saying is a bargain. After the movie, I then proceeded to fall down the stairs outside of Shelby's apartment and almost put a potted plant through the glass of a second story window, so yeah. That's how to be single. (haha lol but really)

On Friday morning we flew from Lima to Cusco to begin our weekend. The first day was spent traveling and then touring ruins right outside the city, the historic center plaza, and the Cusco Cathedral. The church was jaw-dropping but unfortunately, no photography was allowed inside. I considered sneaking some photos, but it just felt wrong seeing as I was in a church and all but don't worry! I pulled some images from Google because it's worth seeing. I also stumbled upon "Paddy's Irish Pub" in the center of Cusco, which made my day. Anyone who watches "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" will understand. Shoutout to all those people.


Note: I did NOT take these pictures! I followed the rules!


Saturday was the day because we got to go to Machu Picchu, which I've been looking forward to since before the semester even started. The day began at 6 A.M. with a two-hour bus ride to the train station, then a beautifully scenic two-hour train ride to the town of Aguas Calientes. It reminded me a lot of Estes Park in Colorado, and I immediately fell in love. From there, we took yet another bus to the top of the mountain to Machu Picchu. From there, it was a short hike to the actual site. As you can see, this trip had many different legs. The suspense was killing me.

Finally finally FiNaLlY we came over a hill and there it was: Machu Picchu. I honestly was speechless. This wonder that I've heard so much about was actually in front of me. I was there. It was one of the coolest feelings and in that moment, I felt significantly insignificant. Here I was, in the midst of one of the more significant events in my life, and all I could think is how insignificant I felt. And I mean that in the best way possible. I was looking down upon these breathtaking ruins and realized the amount of history I was seeing. Billions of people have walked this planet, and I am only one of them. The issues in my life that I considered so massive suddenly seemed infinitesimal. It's easy to get caught up in the idea that the world revolves around me, but I realized how preposterous that idea really is. It's a wakeup call I think everyone needs from time to time, and one I won't soon forget.



We spent the afternoon exploring Machu Picchu, and I was amazed at the intricacy of the ruins. There were handmade sundials, wind rooms, built-in shelves, the list goes on and on. The ruins were built on what can best be described as a raised island without the water. Every time I got to an edge of the site, I found myself looking down a cliff. For my fellow Game of Thrones nerds, it reminded me a lot of the Eyrie, with its main protection being that it was raised on all sides and difficult to reach. The backside even reminded me of the sky cells where Tyrion was imprisoned by Lysa, and I made sure not to get too close to the edge just in case. Okay sorry, I'll stop because I've probably lost most of my audience. Don't get me started on GoT. :) Anyway, we only had about three hours in the ruins, and I easily could've spent an entire day there.

"Runnin' outta pages in your passport."--Drake

Eerily similar to how I picture the entrance to sky cells (*backs away*).
We spent most of the day Sunday exploring more ruins outside of Cusco, buying souvenirs at the markets for all my day ones back home, and eating lunch and dinner at two of the most lovely restaurants I've dined at since being in Peru. As we returned to Lima on Monday, I came to realize my wanderlust meter, which was already extremely high, got turned all the way up to ten (ten being the highest). I feel such a desire to keep traveling, and I'm panicking at the thought of returning home and this adventure coming to an end. So here's the thing. Mom and Dad: I know you're reading this. Please consider this, with my other readers as witness, my open plea to let me backpack Europe as my graduation gift in December. You're more than welcome to join. Let me know. You know where I live. :)

Thank you to everyone for reading and keeping up with me. Less than 50 days until I call America home again! Doesn't even seem real. Much love from Lima!


After lunch, I sat on a bench overlooking this river and couldn't help but feel like I was back at home overlooking the Niobrara. It made me a little homesick, but so happy.
View from dinner overlooking Plaza de Armas after the day at Machu Picchu.



1 comment:

  1. Your trip has been so enlivening. I mean we've learned about some of these historical places, but I never thought I'd have a friend put into words how awe-inspiring these wonders are.

    ReplyDelete