Thursday, March 31, 2016

Week 10/11: Short, Sweet, and to the Point (Pt. 1 and 2)

Yet another week comes to a close here in Lima, which puts me one more week closer to being home. I still haven't decided if that's a good or a bad thing. This week's blog post will be fairly short because, quite frankly, I didn't do much.

The beginning of the week was spent in typical fashion going to class and occasional trips to our favorite sushi restaurant. One new experience I did have, though, was my first (and hopefully not last!) trip to Parque de las Aguas. It is basically a park in Central Lima full of lit up fountains. Every night, they offer three water shows with choreographed water exhibits on the main fountain set to music. The show was jaw-dropping and one of the coolest ideas I've seen. One of my favorite parts of the park was a lit up tunnel made from water that people could walk through. If you knew where to walk, you could stay dry. I didn't figure that out until halfway through the tunnel and by that point, I was already soaked anyway and decided to just embrace it. Just when we thought we had seen the whole park, we stumbled upon an underground tunnel that led us to a completely different side of the park across the street! This side was a little smaller, but equally as beautiful. This side offered a rainbow fountain, which was a big hit with all of us (photoshoot ensues).

By Thursday, I was a little stir crazy and decided to go to the beach Punta Hermosa for the weekend. Wanting to beat traffic, Claire, Danielle, and I left Lima at 7 A.M. to catch the bus there. Turns out traffic was actually fairly minimal so we were one of the first ones on the beach. Oh well, because we got the best spot on the beach! (That's what I told myself, anyway). By 4 PM, we had been in the sun for almost 7 hours, I was fried, dehydrated, and hungry. We decided to go eat and wait for our friend's with a beach house to get there so we could meet up with them. When they finally arrived, we discovered Angelo, Danielle's friend, wasn't with them yet so everyone was strangers to us. Thankfully they knew we were waiting and welcomed us into their group immediately. They spoke very little English, but soon we got into the hang of speaking Spanish with them and learning some new (mostly appropriate) words and phrases.

The next day was Friday and I had an internship interview via Skype that afternoon, so I headed back to Lima by myself so that I had Internet and could do my interview. My interview time came and passed and no one dialed me in on Skype, so I opened my email to see if something had changed and realized I got the dates mixed up and my interview isn't until next Friday. What. So basically I made the hour and a half trip back to Lima that day for nothing and was so disappointed, especially after all the stress I went through preparing for it the first time. Anyway, I decided to head back to the beach Saturday morning and go out with the group Saturday night. The discoteca they took us to was probably the most fun one that I've been to since coming to Peru, so I'm so glad I made the trip back. We all headed back home Sunday morning exhausted, sunburnt, and full of memories and new friendships.
-------------
I decided to add week eleven with my previous week because it was a fairly laid back week and I didn't have much to write about. By "fairly laid back" I mean really laid back. Unfortunately, my host mom's mother passed away last week, so I was home alone by myself for a majority of last week/weekend and the beginning of this week. While I enjoy my independence, it created a bit of a difficulty for me. When my family is gone, I can't leave my house without getting locked out. There is a thick wall surrounding our house and the door to it automatically locks, so I was more or less on house arrest for the majority of the week. I also had no food and could not leave to go get any (back to that dang lock), so by the time Monday rolled around and I had to leave my house for class, I thought I was going to wither away. After class on Monday night, I came home to an empty house and had to wait on my front step for my family to come home for about three hours. They eventually came home, and now the schedule is more or less back to normal. I feel absolutely terrible for my host mom's loss and would sit outside all day without food if need be.

Besides that, my week was spent catching up on homework, watching the NCAA basketball championship (one of the greatest games I've ever seen), and reading my book. All Marki approved activities and I was perfectly content. Besides the no food thing. The next seven days are going to be spent counting down the days until the Amazon Rainforest, which I've been looking forward to for a couple months now! Believe it or not, only two weeks left of school, a week of travel, and then I'm homebound. It's amazing how quickly time goes by, especially as it winds down. Love from Lima!

No comments:

Post a Comment